- Never underestimate the strength of a guy purely by his size. The thinnest guys are often the strongest. But, I’m not saying that big men aren’t strong enough.
- Never underestimate the agility of a girl purely by her size. There are a lot of well built women who glide through the dance and there are quite a few toned or skinny ones who weigh a ton on your shoulder.
- Salsa or any other Latin dance for that matter redefines physical space. So, it is OK to dance in close quarters. Remember, most of the time it is just a dance and nothing personal.
- Sometimes during a dance, a guy’s hands might accidentally graze your bosom. 9 out 10 times, he really didn’t mean it and it was just an accident. So don’t feel start to feel guilty. Don’t brand the guy as a pervert. Having said that, if it was anything but accidental. Jab your knee up his precious.
- If this is your first month of attending the Salsa socials; do not get intimidated by the dancers on the floor. They look good only because they have been dancing regularly. They were just as clumsy and clueless when they started out. It is OK.
- Please, for heaven’s sake buy a pair of dancing shoes. I see many people, especially women dancing in shoes that are not fit for dancing. By doing this, you will hurt your feet and your spine. You don’t want that, do you?
- Ladies, especially the ladies who are just starting out, remember this. Observe the dance floor. Observe the dancers (read:men). Do a bit of socializing. Ask the women about the good dancers. They will point out to some. Ask the women about the bad dancers. They will point out to some. At any cost, stay away from these men, They prey on beginners. I have seen men who have been dancing for years but have not improved as dancers. They will only dance with beginners because of their incompetence. Do them a favor and do yourself a favor. Say ‘NO’ to them.
- And for the losers who dance only with beginners or women who are new to the local Salsa scene, grow a pair of balls. Honestly, you are no good. Find yourself a good teacher, attend classes regularly and start to dance with challenging dancers. That is the only way you are going to improve. And please don’t try your cheesy pick up lines with the women who have no idea about dancing.
Mazel Tov and Happy Dancing!!
Copyright (c) 2011, Thangasurabi Bright Raj
All rights reserved. Redistribution and use in any forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided redistribution retain this copyright. Reproduced with Permission.
Get Started Today
Discover a dancer inside you. Be a part of the vibrant Bangalore Salsa Community